Taking Shape!
Today was one of those days that you get a lot of work done and then say, why can't they all be like that?!
Went shopping in the morning to replenish on the vermiculite aggregate for to mix with concrete. Spent an hour stuffing it up the flue and building up a nice 'neck' to optimise airflow. Apparently this is the key to good combustion. We'll soon find out!When I finished I stuck Paula's phone camera up the flue and took a photo. You can see how the concrete mix meets the chimmney back at a 45 degree angle. This is the only way I can see it as its dark up there! I had to do a lot of feeling with my arm stuck up the hole....
Then went on to plaster in the fireplace. I hate plastering because it is one of those jobs that you actually have to be skilled at to get even half-decent results. It goes completely against my 'rough and ready' philosophy. Nonetheless, this not being the first time, I did a better job than ever before, although it does take some patience. Maybe one day I'll be good at it...Swept out the room and mopped the whole downstairs to remove traces of cement and plaster dust (not good for Wasabi to lick out from between his little toes....)
Then since it was still early decided to tackle the baseboards (they call them skirting board here). The key to this is careful measurements. Also its important to concentrate carefully to ensure that you are cutting the 45 degree angle the right way! I am pleased to report that I only ruined one piece by doing the angle the wrong way. My new cordless disc saw really proved its worth and cut the angles beautifully. Chewed through them all in no time.


The only one that's left is the curved part in the alcove. It was getting late and I ran out of skirting board so leave it for next session. This one will require a special technique that I reverse-engineered from the worm-eaten original. Stay tuned to see if I ruin that one!By end of day things looking good! I haven't fastened the board to the wall as this is noisy and neighbours may not like! I need to order the special hammer fasteners for this.

All it needs is some sanding to and a coat of paint!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home