Day 16: Diversion

Sick of painting floorboards this morning so go out to do shopping for the next task: replacing the drainage downpipe outside the house because its completely corroded and to make way for the flue of the new gas boiler.
I am bothered that my original cast iron pipe and hopper are severely corroded and parts will need total replacement. I'm trying to keep as much of the original 1930's fittings intact as possible. The hopper is probably salvageable but would need a good stripping down and repainting, which I don't have the time for now. The alternative is to buy cheapo plastic replacements, which all the neighbors have. Low maintenance, but ugly and souless. But a quick check on the web shows that new cast iron parts will add up to about 200 pounds, whereas the plastic tubing will cost about 15. It does suddenly seem stupid to use an easily corroded material such as cast iron to transport drain water...
Some more searching revealed a company that makes plastic parts that look like cast iron. Maybe this is the solution!
Since my cordless drill reached the end of its useful life, also purchased a special sale package with nice drill and also cordless disc saw. Had fun when I got home playing with those for a while.
Then felt guilty for evading my responsibilities and did a few more hours of waxing floors..


2 Comments:
Keeping going Omar. Your wooden floors look fab.
Fantastic job! Keep up the good work.
I think plastic pipes should do just fine!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home