DIY

Being a log of the work done on my house primarily for me to keep track for future reference but also for anybody else who cares to read... For my real blog see www.rifaat.org

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Fireplace


I'm going to stop numbering the days because my holiday is over and I'm back to work again. So back to weekend DIY warrioring. But looking back on the past month, managed to make a leap forward. The house is beginning to feel like a home, finally after 2 years.

Today the fireplace (see Day 6 below) arrived, finally. I was at work so Paula took delivery of it. It is gorgeous, but weights a ton! Its much bigger than the other one I bought last year and its much heavier. It comes in several pieces.


Meanwhile over the past few evenings I sealed the tiles and grouted them. So I assembled the fireplace inside the hearth to get an idea of what it would look like and to figure out a plan for installing it. I hope to do this on the weekend.

Essentially I need to brick up part of the chimney opening as the fireplace does not fill the entire space. Then I need to bolt the cast iron face onto the wall and then fill in the remaining space behind the fireback with concrete mixed with vermiculite.

Note the completed flooring, 3 varnish coats! We had intense debates about the colour, about whether it was too light... In the end we like it and agree if it were darker it would make the room look smaller.

After the fireplace the next task is to cut new skirting board and fit it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home