Day 14: More of the Same!
Now things are pretty monotonous. I'm getting really tired of obsessing with the same floorboards row after row, coat after coat. After all, will anybody ever take notice of them once the rugs are down and the furniture is in place? All the time I spent removing all the little sanding marks with the fine paper and all the time spent ensuring no brush strokes are visible.... is it really worth it? Who cares!
But then I remember the old edict that perfection in small things is still a form of greatness! So then I begin to look for sanding marks again... it goes on like this hour after hour.
But then there was some diversion today. I had to remove the cupboard in the far end of the kitchen to make room for the new boiler. This was good old demolition at its best. At first I did try to unscrew things gently with the hope that I might be able to reinstate one of the smaller units afterwards. But the units were so cheaply built and installed by some fomer owner (classic example of the DIY 'who cares' philosophy) that there was no alternative but to get out the hammers and crowbars. Lots of crunching and ripping later, the unit was the new crown on the heap of detritus thrown out behind the house. This mound consists of heaps of old floorboards, rubble from the hearth, broken tiles, a half-ton of sawdust, junk I found in the loft from previous owners etc, etc. I'll post a picture eventually. The old boiler will soon join the mound, and perhaps the fridge too as Paula has got the idea of buying anew one (uh oh!)... Then when this phase of the work is done, I will order a skip and load it all and send it on its way to its destiny of becoming more landfill.
Of course will reuse all the floorboards for kindling in the new fireplace...


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home