DIY

Being a log of the work done on my house primarily for me to keep track for future reference but also for anybody else who cares to read... For my real blog see www.rifaat.org

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Day 10: Life Aquatic



Things were going smoothly today until I put a nail through one of the radiator pipes. I managed to do this after specifically noting where the pipes were and making sure I stayed away. Oh well, first real disaster of the project. No pictures because th
ings were pretty aquatic. After the nail went through I heard a quiet hissing noise. Curious, I lifted the board and then water began spurting out under high pressure. This time it wasn't a little drip. I had been meaning to call the radiator guru anyway to discuss a new boiler but this made the call suddenly very timely. He gave me some useful instructions (like how to shut the system off in the loft) and said he was on his way.

In the meantime I drained out the system using the garden hose. I figured since he was coming anyway, he could move the radiator across the entrance because this was something we have been wanting for a while. So I took down the radiator, blasted more filthy muck out of it with the hose and vacuumed the age old inch thick dust layer off the back.
When heating guru arrived, I studied his work carefully. Learned many secrets of the trade! Took about an hour to fix and move the radiator and also fix the faulty one in the living room. Realised that I could probably do it myself... maybe next time..
He took pity on me and only charged me for the radiator move job (not the emergency callout fee).







1 Comments:

At 1/05/2007 1:22 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WoW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!impresive.
Bravo Paula for fortifying the labourer

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home